This guidebook, developed by the Greater Ohio Policy Center in partnership with the German Marshall Fund of the United States and with support from the Center for Community Progress, is designed as a “How To” manual for local leaders, identifying practices and policies that take advantage of the link between available commercial properties and needed economic re-growth strategies in legacy cities.
The guidebook includes the following tools:
- Guidance on planning & partnering for commercial revitalization
- Methods for analyzing the market
- Advice on matching market types & strategies for commercial revitalization
- Legal tools for reclaiming commercial vacant properties
- Funding sources for overcoming financial gaps
- Menu of property reuse options
- Ways to attract & retain business tenants
- Methods and models for managing a commercial district
- Strategies for building markets in legacy cities
While the tools, strategies, and policy recommendations within the guidebook are particularly relevant for legacy cities and their communities, they are also applicable to all cities and regions that seek to reuse commercial vacant properties with the purpose of enhancing community stability and economic development.